Retro Challenge 2017/04 Day 06

Today I tackle my 1541 Disk Drive.


I opened the unit up and it looked very clean inside.  I decided to only transport the circuit board to recap the unit instead of bringing the complete unit in to the shop.  I did not want to run the risk of knocking something out of alignment.

This is one solid case!

Cover off
 
These two big caps are hot glued to the board.


The drive assembly on the right and the power transformer on the left.

This is what they used before switching power supplies.  The transformer is the heaviest part in the whole drive.

A normal drive section - very clean.


I discovered that the 6800uF that I had was not the correct voltage.  This is the filter cap for the 12Vdc side right after the bridge rectifier.  The cap I had was 16V but I needed a 25V.  I did have a bunch of 2200uF 25V caps so I installed three of them in parallel to give me 6600uF.  That is well in range for filter caps.






The recap process went smoothly and I am ready to put some power to the system.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog