Retro Challenge 2017/04 Day 11

SD2IEC - WOW!

A Micro-SD in a SD Adapter in a SD2IEC on a VIC-20
DIGITAL  TURDUCKIN

I have added this incredible modern day device to my system.  The SD2IEC is made from recycled VIC-20 cases.
I got it from  www.thefuturewas8bit.com/

I was able to set it up and change the device from 8 to 10 so now I have a 1541 on 8, a 1541-II on 9, and the SD2IEC on 10.  Everything plays very well with each other.  The cable is a bit short on the SD2IEC so I will have to get an extender or Y-cable so it will daisy chain in better.  For now the printer is turned sideways and that works.
I like the CBM FileBrowser from  www.vic20.it/cbmfilebrowser/    I will try it on the 1541.

I am getting better with the command channel.  I functioned back in the pre-PC days without even thinking about it. The single disk drive was such an improvement over the cassette that any hoops that needed to be jumped through was so much easier than counters and tape loaders!  Having to travel down the path of rediscovery is rewarding.  I can really appreciate USB and cloud storage now!

I found the issue I was having yesterday with the 1541-II not responding well was caused by the very old floppy I was using.
I formatted a never used 5 1/4 floppy and it worked great.  I was able to save, load, and resave files and test both drives.  They can read and write each other's files with no issues.

Now for those joysticks and paddles...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog