Retro Challenge 2017/04 Day 13

Oh My ... All the tapes ...


So today's adventure in reliving the past has brought me back to why we invested  $214 for out 1541


I have disconnected my SD2IEC from the cassette port and put my tape drive back in.  I still have a special cassette for cleaning and demagnetizing that I am using to clean the drive from the 35+year old tapes.  I can read some writing on the labels but it is really unknown if these tapes have anything readable on them or not.  I did dig up a cassette/CD portable mini boom box to rewind the tapes so the wear and tear did not hit the CN2.  This also allows me to hear if the tape had data recorded on it.

The process is very slow but rewarding.  These are files we recorded back in the early 80s.  Some of the recovered files are programs that Judy wrote herself in the early days of her programming career.  She is still working for the same software company now as she was back then!  She is retro too!



I am loading each file and then saving them to a floppy disk.  I will then copy the disk to my SD2IEC.  I will get to all the floppies I have but for now the work will focus on retrieving the files from tape.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog